Friday, September 30, 2011

Unexpected Outcome

Out of sheer boredom Breeann and I decided to redo my kitchen table. We thought "oh this will be a fun ONE day project." Well five days later it is dry and ready to be blogged about.  
 I figure this story needed a before and after picture to make it interesting. So here is the before. it is a really cute little table and I did not mind it, but it can be a dangerous thing when two girls are bored. Kasey found that out the hard way.
 On our trip to Lows to get supplies, the man helping us said we could either sand or spray this chemical on the chairs that will lift the stain right off. He made it sound like it would be as easy as wiping it off with a rag. So of course I thought to myself no sanding sweet! We bought the spray, and got the safest kind we could find. (Breeann was worried about cancer) We might have not thought this process out very well, because we were spraying and it was getting everywhere. So we layed garbage bags down. Then we hung them on the walls, but it still was getting eveywhere (okay I know what your thinking, yes it may be chemical getting everywhere in my tiny little kitchen but it was the safe kind, and we opened windows. We are not complete idiots.)
 Well this is the part where Kasey gets home and he being as smart as he is and a little confused as to why we thought our plan would work, kicked us out. So we went to the side walk to spray the rest. I don't think the neighbors liked it that much, but where else would we go. Then Kasey had a second game changing thought. Get Phillips truck and do it in there garage. Perfect! Well long story short the chemical turned into a waxy goo. We had the hardest time getting it off, I asked my mom what to do she asked my brother (who works in a cabinet shop) what to do and then we asked my dad what to do. Breann asked her neighbor what to do and Phillip what to do. And after getting a kinda different answer from all of them, we gave up. We took my dads advice to get the goo off. Which took forever!! and then just decided to paint it even though some of the stain from before was still on there.
 Well we ended up back at step one with just the normal stain on there well some of it anyways. So we decided we were finished being crafty and decided to just paint. It ended up looking pretty cute. Almost like we tried to make it look rustic. It just took forever for it to dry and I think there were a few morning when Kasey woke up with headaches from the stain. (to get it out of Phillips garage I stained some of it in our apartment)
In the end I think Breeann and I decided and was kinda told (by our husbands) that we would lay off the crafty projects for a while. Until we are bored enough to do Breeanns bench. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment